Monday, January 10, 2011

Nightly routine? Books and hot tea

My nights in this cold winter have come to be the same... put on the most comfy pj's (recently that's been my Christmas pj's from Steve), boil water in the kettle, pour a deliciously large cup of Earl Gray and read the book du jour. It's just become a comforting routine that I have indulged for weeks now.  It's amazing how it only took a few days for this to become my evening norm.

my favorite tea

The book that I've just finished is Jonathan Franzen's new novel Freedom.  It's a hefty read at over 500 pages.  I had the same feelings about this book as I did about his novel The Corrections.  I couldn't put the book down, but I found it extremely depressing.  The Berglunds are a really broken family that from the outside seemed to have it all until Franzen takes us into the depth of the mess.  Ultimately there was redemption and healing, but it was a long time coming.

No comments: