Saturday, March 22, 2008

the kindle

Okay- so this is my first blog entry and I thought that I would write about a discussion I had with my mother over a lovely lunch at Between the Bridges Cafe today. Let me begin by saying that I love books, my family loves books, in fact some have even called my parent's home a library. Needless to say I am often on Amazon.com perusing the "aisles" for more books. So, when I clicked over to amazon this morning there was a letter to amazoners about the Kindle. If you are not familiar- it is the latest in the "techno reading machines"- electronic books can be downloaded onto your Kindle for your reading enjoyment. You never have to enter the bookstore or crack a book. Apparently, Amazon sold out of them within 5 1/2 hours of their initial availability and they are on serious backorder now.

So, back to our discussion this morning...do we really want to get rid of books- real books?? It seems that is what the Kindle leads to- we don't need actual books. My mother, who is a librarian, reported that at one local private school they are indeed heading away from having actual copies of books in their library and have mostly digital texts. I certainly see the advantage of having texts available online and for download, but not at the expense of having an actual book available. I cannot imagine snuggling up in bed late at night with my Kindle in my hands. I want an actual book in my hands. I want to turn a page not scroll down on my screen. I will be keeping my actual book copies. I guess one day they will be a rarity and hopefully I will still have a houseful.



On a completey different note- I just returned from a dinner and bonfire. There is something wonderful about great friends, great conversation, some wine and food. I am a happy Liz tonight as I end this Good Friday.

No comments: